Voight, John, Lewis
Voight, John, Lewis a Lutheran, minister, was born at Mansfield, in Prussian Saxony, Nov. 9, 1731. He completed his academical and theological studies, and for several years taught in the Orphan House at Halle, in which he subsequently became inspector. He was ordained at Wernigerode, and shortly after went to London and embarked for Philadelphia, where he arrived April 1, 1764. After preaching in various places for a few weeks, he was appointed by the president of the synod to take charge of the congregation at Germantown. In the course of the year, however, he was regularly chosen pastor of Germantown and Barren Hill. About the close of the year 1765 he became pastor of the churches at Trappe and New Hanover. He continued to reside at Trappe for many years, and to minister to the above-named and other congregations, but finally settled at Vincent, where he spent the remainder of his life. He died Dec. 28, 1800, and was buried in front of the church door, where a marble slab marks his last resting-place. See Sprague, Annals of the Amen; Pulpit, 9:41 sq.