Mccartee, Robert Dd
Mccartee, Robert. D.D.
an American Presbvterian minister, was born in New York City Sept. 30, 1791, and was educated at Columbia College. He chose the legal profession, and was engaged in his studies of jurisprudence when he was impressed with the duty of devoting himself to the sacred ministry. He therefore entered the Theological Seminary of the Associate Reformed Church at New York, and pursued a theological course of study, and was licensed to preach in 1816. He was immediately called to Philadelphia, where he remained several years; then returned to New York to take charge of the Orange Street Church, which had at that time but thirty members. While he was the pastor of this Church it was removed to Canal Street. When his connection ceased, in 1836, it numbered eight hundred members. In 1836 he accepted a call to the Church at Port Carbon, Pa., and remained there four years. In 1840 he became the pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Goshen, N. Y.; in 1849 of the Union Church at Newburg, and in 1856 of the Westminster Church in Twenty-second Street (with which the Twenty-fifth Street Church was united), New York City. This was his last pastoral charge. In 1862 his health, which for some time had been enfeebled, failing still more, he resigned his charge. He died at Yonkers, N.Y., March 12, 1865. "All who have known Dr. McCartee will remember him as one possessed of a genial nature, whose warm-hearted friendship was ever finding the most fitting expression in words and acts; as a simple-minded, fervent Christian, whose love for the Savior and his blessed Gospel was never concealed; and as an able minister of the New Testament, whose fervid eloquence when proclaiming the glad tidings of salvation, and in urging them upon the acceptance of perishing men, was seldom equaled. We have often listened with wrapt attention to his solemn appeals, while the tears which were flowing down his cheeks, and his tender words, were answered by the tears of his hearers. But his voice is now silent; his work is done; he has entered into rest" (The Observer, N. Y. March, 1865). The degree of D.D. was bestowed on Mr. McCartee by Columbia College in 1831. See New Amer. Cyclop. 1865, p. 536; Wilson. Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1866, p. 132.