Mccarron, Michael, Dd
Mccarron, Michael, D.D., a Roman Catholic theologian of note, was born in the County of Monaghan, Ireland, in the year 1804. He received his early education in his native place, after the completion of which he entered Maynooth College to pursue his theological studies, and on graduation was ordained to the ministry. Soon after this he came to the United States. He was placed at St.
James's Church (now the cathedral), in Brooklyn. Subsequently he was transferred to St. James's Church, New York, but very soon afterwards was appointed pastor of St. Joseph's Church, Sixth Avenue, where he remained several years. About the year 1857 the late archbishop Hughes conferred on him the pastorate of the large congregation of St. Mary's Church, corner of Grand and Ridge Streets, New York, which he retained until his decease, Feb. 23, 1867. At the time when father McCarron arrived in this country archbishop Hughes had been actively engaged in the work of education, and had succeeded in exciting a deep interest among the Catholics on the subject. Father McCarron, then in the vigor and prime of life, entered upon this work with the greatest zeal, and the results of his efforts in that noble cause were soon apparent, and are felt at the present time. Father McCarron received evidences of the respect and esteem of his associates by his advancement to the archdeaconship of the archdiocese of New York. The date of this appointment is not known to us.