Jiph'tah (Heb. Yiphtach', יַפתָּח, the same name as Jephthah; Sept. Ι᾿εφδά), a town in the "lowland" district of Judah, mentioned between Ashan and Ashmah (Jos 15:43), and lying in the southern medial group west of Hebron and east of Eleutheropolis. SEE JUDAH. Some (e.g. Keil, ad loc.) have located it in the mountain district, contrary to the text; but, although the import of the name implies a "defile" adjoining, and the associated names are indicative of naturally strong positions, yet the "plain" or Shephelah (q.v.) here actually comes quite far in this direction to the proper "hill country" (Robinson, Researches, 3, 13). We may therefore presume a location for Jiphtah at the ruined village Jimrin, where a smaller valley runs up south from wady el-Melek (Robinson, 2, 342, note; Van de Velde's Map, ed. 1864).