Delancey William Heathcote, Dd
Delancey William Heathcote, D.D., bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the diocese of Western New York, was born in Westchester County, N. Y., Oct. 8, 1797; graduated at Yale College in 1817, and was ordained deacon in 1819. His first ministerial labor was given to Grace Church, New York, of which he was in charge during the vacancy of the rectorship which preceded that of the Rev. Dr. Wainwright. He then officiated for a short time in the newly- organized parish of St. Thomas's, Mamaroneck. Having been advanced to the priesthood on March 6, 1822, in Trinity Church, New York, he removed to the city of Philadelphia, where he became an assistant minister of the united churches of Christ Church, St. Peter's, and St. James's, of which bishop White was then rector. In 1828 he was appointed Provost of the University of Pennsylvania. In 1833 he became assistant minister of St. Peter's Church of Philadelphia, and in 1837 rector. When the diocese of New York was divided in 1838, Dr. Delancey was elected the first bishop of the new diocese of Western New York. His consecration took place on May 9, 1839. In 1852 he visited England as a delegate to the English House of Bishops from the Protestant Episcopal Church of America. He died at Geneva, N. Y., April 5, 1865. In all positions, as pastor, university officer, and bishop, Dr. Delancey was diligent, skillful, and successful. He instituted a system of diocesan missions sustained to the present time without incurring debt. In 1840, by his recommendation, a fund for the relief of infirm and aged clergy of the diocese was established.