Davis, Henry (2), Dd
Davis, Henry (2), D.D.
a Baptist minister, was born at Charlton, Saratoga County, N.Y., April 23, 1800. Early in life he moved to the city of New York; subsequently was engaged in teaching at Ogden, Monroe County, where he was converted, and joined the Baptist Church in the fall of 1818; graduated from the theological institution at Hamilton, June 7, 1827, and the next day was ordained at Bridgewater. For a time he labored as a missionary in Detroit, Mich., and planted the first church of his denomination in that city. His other pastorates were, Palmyra, N.Y., Brockport, Jordan, Cannon Street, New York city, Second Church, Rochester, Columbus, Ohio, New Corydon and Rock Island, Illinois. He died at Danville, Illinois, Aug. 21, 1870. See Minutes of Ill. Anniversaries, 1870, page 69. (J.C.S.)