Chichester, an ancient city of Sussex, England, the see of a bishop. It was a Roman station. The present cathedral was built in the 13th century; it is 407 feet long, 150 wide, with a tower and spire 300 feet high. The diocese comprises nearly the whole of Sussex, with a total population, in 1861, of 363,735. It has 12 deaneries and 133,512 church sittings. The present (1867) bishop is Achmet Turner Gilbert, DD., consecrated in 1842. Two provincial councils were held here, in 1289 and 1292, convened by Gilbert, bishop of Chichester.— Landon, Manual of Councils, p. 130.