Chester, an ancient city of England, on the river Dee, founded by the Romans. In the 13th century it had several monasteries, a college, and the hospitals of St. Anne and of St. John Baptist, the latter of which remains to this day. Under Henry VIII the Church of the monastery of St. Wesburgh became the Cathedral for the new see of Chester, which took in Cheshire (from the diocese of Litchfield) and Lancashire (from the diocese of York). The revenues of the dissolved monasteries were made a provision for the bishop, dean, and chapter. The present (1867) bishop is William Jacobson, DD., consecrated in 1865.