Cartwright, Edmund, Dd, Frs
Cartwright, Edmund, D.D., F.R.S.
an English clergyman, was born at Marnham, Nottinghamshire, April 24, 1743, and was educated at Wakefield Grammar-school. His academical studies were begun at Oxford, in University College, and in 1762 he was elected a demy of Magdalen College, where, in 1764, he succeeded to a fellowship. He published, in 1770, Armine and Elvira, a legendary tale in verse, which passed through seven editions in little more than a year. In 1779 he published his best poetical production, The Prince of Peace. In the same year he was presented to the rectory of Goadby Marwood, Leicestershire, to which was added a prebend in the cathedral of Lincoln. Dr. Cartwright probably would have passed an obscure life as a country clergyman, had not his attention been turned, in 1784, to the possibility of applying machinery to weaving. He invented the power-loon, for which a patent was granted in 1785, In 1796 he settled in London, The first mill on his plan was that of Messrs. Grimshaws, of Manchester. About 1807 parliament voted him a grant of £10,000, in consideration of his having contributed so largely to the commercial prosperity of the nation. He also invented machines for combing wool and making ropes, and was the author of many improvements in the arts, manufactures, and agriculture. He died near Seven oaks, Kent, Oct. 30,1823. See Encyclop. Brit. 9th ed. s.v.