a Methodist Episcopal minister, was born at Chazy, Clinton Co., N. Y., Sept. 18, 1800, He removed with his parents to eastern Ohio in 1817; received the best, education his circumstances allowed; experienced conversion in 1819; was licensed to exhort in 1821, to preach in 1825, and in the same year entered the Pittsburgh Conference, in which he filled the most important appointments. In 1839, having acquired a knowledge of the German language, he became one of the pioneers of German Methodism in this country; took charge of the Pittsburgh German Mission District, the first of the kind in Methodism, and built there the first German Methodist church in. the. United States. In 1840 he was appointed to the New York German Mission; in 1842, as moral instructor at, the Western Penitentiary, Pennsylvania; but in 1845 returned to the English work. From 1854 to 1859 he presided over the Michigan and Cincinnati German Districts; then again entered the English work; and between 1862 and 1866 acted as hospital chaplain, United States army, Camp Dennison, Ohio. From 1866 to 1871 he occupied various important charges in the regular work; and then, on account of the infirmities of age, became superannuated. He died Feb. 6,1876. Mr. Callender was a man of deep piety, a sound theologian, a good counsellor, a warm, steadfast friend, and a successful minister; See Minutes of Annual Conferences, 1876, p. 103.