Andrewes, Gerard, Dd
Andrewes, Gerard, D.D., an English divine, was born at Leicester, April 3, 1750. He was educated at Westminster School and Trinity College, Cambridge. In 1772 he returned to Westminster as an assistant master, where he remained till 1784. One of his first clerical duties was that of an occasional assistant preacher at St. Bride's, Fleet Street; afterwards he was engaged at St. James's Chapel, in the Hampstead Road. In 1780 he served as chaplain to the high sheriff of Leicestershire; in 1788 was presented to the rectory of Zeal Monachorum, Devonshire; in 1791 was chosen alternate evening preacher at the Magdalen, and in 1799 at the Foundling Hospital. In 1800 he was presented to the rectory of Mickleham, Surrey; and collated to St. James's Aug. 10, 1802. His rectory of Mickleham having become vacant on his preferment, he was again presented to it, and instituted Sept. 7, 1802. In 1809 he was elected dean of Canterbury, and he thereupon finally left Mickleham. In 1812, on the translation of bishop Sparke, he was offered the bishopric of Chester, but declined it on the plea of his advancing years. He died June 2, 1825. Dean Andrewes in the pulpit was argumentative, but not impassioned; conclusive, but not eloquent; a good rather than a great preacher. He published several special sermons. See (Lond.) Annual Register, 1825, p. 254.