Wurzburg (or Wurtzburg), Council of
Wurzburg (or Wurtzburg), Council Of
(Concilium Herbipolense). Wurzburg is a fortified city of Bavaria, capital of the circle of Lower Franconia, one hundred and forty miles north-west of Munich, on the right bank of the Main. An ecclesiastical council was held there March 18, 1287, in the presence of the emperor Rudolph, by the legate, John, bishop of Tuseclum, assisted by four archbishops, viz. those of Mayence, Cologne, Salzburg, and Vienna, some of their suffragans, and many abbots. Forty-two canons were published.
The first five relate to the moral conduct and manner of life of clerks, enjoining them not to frequent taverns, nor play with dice, and to dress according to their calling.
7. Forbids to celebrate two masses in one day, except in a case of necessity.
8. Orders that the Body of our Lord shall be carried with proper solemnity to the sick, and to women near the time of their delivery.
10. Forbids to holds two vicarages.
14. Orders those who have received investiture at the hands of laymen to resign their benefices into the bishop's hands, to whom the collation properly belongs.
15. Forbids any fee for the nuptial benediction and for funerals.
28. Forbids to fortify a church without the bishop's consent.
29. Forbids to excommunicate wives or mothers on account of their deceased husband's or children's debts, except they have succeeded to their property. See Mansi, Concil. 11:1318; Landon, Manual of Councils, page 696, 697.