Wilson, Henry Rowan, Dd
Wilson, Henry Rowan, D.D.
a Presbyterian divine, was born near Gettysburg, Adams Co., Pa., Aug. 7, 1780. He pursued his preparatory course in a classical school in the neighborhood; graduated at Dickinson College in 1798; studied theology privately; was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Carlisle in 1801; and was ordained and installed pastor of the congregations at Bellefont and at Lick Run, Center Co., Pa., in 1802. In 1806 he was called to the professorship of languages in Dickinson College, which position he held for ten years, until he became pastor of the Church at Silver Spring in 1816. In May, 1824, he was installed pastor of the Church in Shippenasburg; in 1838 he accepted the general agency of the Board of Publication in the Presbyterian Church; in 1842 he became pastor of the Church at Neshaminy, Hartsville, Bucks Co., Pa., where he continued till October, 1848, when, at his own request, the pastoral relation was dissolved. He died March 22, 1849. Dr. Wilson was a man of strong mind; an able, energetic, and popular preacher; "his record is on high." See Sprague, Annals of the Amer. Pulpit, 4:300; Nevin, Churches of the Valley. (J. L. S.)