Wexford, Coiuncil of (Concilium Wexfordiense)
Wexford, Coiuncil Of (Concilium Wexfordiense)
Wexford is a seaport town of Ireland, capital of Wexford County, on the right bank of the Slaney, where it expands, into a harbor, sixty-four miles south-west of Dublin. An ecclesiastical council was held here in 1240 by the bishop of Ferns, in which it was ruled how the debts of deceased curates should be paid.: Clerks were forbidden to follow any kind of secular business. The infringers of ecclesiastical liberties, intruders into benefices, incendiaries, poisoners, false, witnesses, etc., were excommunicated. Curates were forbidden to excommunicate their parishioners without the bishop's sanction. See Wilkins, Conc. 1. 681; Mansi, Concil. (suppl.), 2, 1065, Landon, Manual of Councils, p. 691.