Waugh, Alexander, Dd
Waugh, Alexander, D.D.
a Scotch Presbyterian divine, was born at East Gordon, in Berwickshire, Aug. 16, 1754. He was educated in the grammar-school at Earlston and the universities of Edinburgh and Aberdeen, besides having studied theology two years (177476) under the Rev. John Brown, at Haddington. He was licensed to preach June 28, 1779, and supplied the pulpit at Well Street, London, for a short time. In 1780 he was settled as pastor at Newtown, in the parish of Melrose, Roxburghshire, and remained two years. In 1782 he became pastor in Oxford Street, London, where he continued to the time of his death, Dec. 14, 1827. He was one of the fathers of the London Missionary Society, and was very active in its support.