Watson, Richard (1), Dd, Frs
Watson, Richard (1), D.D., F.R.S.
an eminent English prelate, was born at Haversham, near Kendal, Westmoreland, in August, 1737, where he received his early education from his father. He graduated at Trinity College, Cambridge, in 1759, and was elected to a fellowship in 1760. He then took orders in the Church of England, and became assistant tutor in November of the same year. He became moderator in 1762; professor of chemistry in 1764; one of the head tutors in 1767; and regius professor of divinity in 1771, and at the same time rector of Somersham, Huntingdonshire. In 1774 he exchanged his rectory for the prebend of Ely, and in 1780 became archdeacon of Ely and rector of Northwold, Norfolk. In 1782 he became rector of Knaptoft, Leicestershire, and bishop of Llandaff. In 1786 he received a bequest of property from his friend Mr. Luther, of Ougar, Essex, from which he realized £20, 500. This, together with his bishopric, his professorship, his archdeaconry, and his rectory, enabled him to live in opulence, despite his complaints of poverty and neglect. He died at Calgarth Park, Westmoreland, July 4, 1816. He was the author of An Apology for Christianity (1776): — An Apology for the Bible (1796): — Chemical Essays (1781-87, 5 vols.): — Sermons on Public Occasions (1788): — Miscellaneous Tracts on a Religious, Political, and Agricultural Subjects (1815) and several other works on kindred subjects. He also edited a Collection of Theological Tracts, selected from Various Authors (1785, 6 vols.). His autobiography was published by his son, Richard Watson, LL.B., in 1817.