Warner, Aaron, Dd
Warner, Aaron, D.D.
a Congregational minister, was born at Northampton, Mass., Oct. 20, 1794. After graduating from Williams College in 1815, he entered Andover Theological Seminary, from which he graduated four years afterwards. He was city missionary in Charleston, S. C., from 1819 to 1822, and part of the time was acting pastor of the Circular Church in that city. At Salem, Mass., he was ordained as an evangelist, Sept. 25, 1823; and a year after he was installed pastor of the Second Church in Medford, which he served until 1832. From February, 1835, to November, 1843, he was professor of sacred rhetoric in the Gilmanton Theological Seminary. In January of the following year he was made professor of rhetoric and oratory and English literature in Amherst College, retaining this position until 1853; after which, and until his death, May 14, 1876, he resided in Amherst without charge, Dr. Warner was a corporate member of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions from 1838, See Cong. Quarterly, 1877, p. 427.