Warneford, Samuel Wilson, Dcl
Warneford, Samuel Wilson, D.C.L.
a clergyman of the English Church, was born at Sevenhampton, near Highworth, in Wiltshire, in 1758. He was educated at University College, Oxford, where he received the degree of A.M. in 1786, and B.C.L. in 1790. He became rector of Liddiard Millicent, Wilts, in 1809; and of Bourton-on-the-Hill, in Gloucestershire, in 1810, where he lived plainly, and bestowed the large fortune of which he was then in possession in gifts of public charity and benevolence. He founded schools and almshouses in his own parish, and contributed largely to schools, colleges, and hospitals throughout the kingdom. To the Clergy Orphan-school he gave thirteen thousand pounds, and to Queen's College, Birmingham, upwards of twentyfive thousand pounds. In 1844 the bishop of Gloucester conferred on him an honorary canonry in Gloucester Cathedral; and in 1849 a statue of him was erected in the Warneford Lunatic Asylum at Oxford, the expense of which was met by public subscription. He died at Bourton, January 11, 1855.