Walker, Charles, Dd
Walker, Charles, D.D.
a Congregational minister, was born in Woodstock, Conn., Feb. 1, 1791, and died in Binghamton, N.Y., Nov. 28, 1870. At about the age of seventeen years he attended one term at the Academy at Thetford, his education being largely obtained by his own efforts. Subsequently he became a teacher. In 1815 he was converted and united with the Church, and in the year following turned his attention towards the ministry. In September he began to teach at Cherry Valley, N.Y., remaining one year, and then entering the Academy at Plainfield, N. H. In 1818 he entered the Theological Seminary at Andover, and, graduating in 1821, went immediately to New York City, to preach under the direction of the Seaman's and the Evangelical Missionary societies of that city. Going to Central New York, in the year after, he received ordination from the Otsego Presbytery, Feb. 27, at Norwich. After this he preached three months in Lebanon, N. H.; and then, Jan. 2, 1823, after having served there temporarily, was installed pastor of the Church in Rutland, Vt., and served there until 1833. He was trustee of Burr Seminary, Manchester, Vt.; a director of Vermont Domestic Missionary Society, and a warm temperance advocate. In consequence of bronchial trouble he was forced to abandon the pulpit for a time, and took charge of a seminary in Castleton, Vt., for one year (1834). During part of 1834 he supplied the Pine Street Church in Boston, and Jan. 1, 1835, was installed pastor of the Church in Brattleborough, Vt., in which position he remained until Feb. 11, 1846. In 1846 he accepted a call to Pittsford, Vt., and was installed Dec. 2, and resigned in 1864. Though not a brilliant preacher, his style was singularly clear and chaste. He received the honorary degree of A.M. from the University of Vermont in 1823, and from Middlebury and Dartmouth colleges in 1825. The degree of D.D. was bestowed by the University of Vermont in 1847. He was elected one of the corporation of Middlebury College in 1837, and of the American Board of Foreign Missions in 1838. He died while on a visit to his daughter at Binghamton, N.Y. See Cong. Quar. 1871, p. 357.