Vici, Andrea Del
Vici, Andrea del an Italian architect, was born at Arcevia, in the Marca d'Ancona in 1744. He was educated at Perugia, and then sent to Rome to study painting under Stefano Pozzi, and architecture under Carlo Murena, but he decided to follow the latter as a profession. In 1780 the court of Tuscany appointed him hydraulic architect and engineer for the Val di Chiana, and in 1787 he was employed in a similar capacity by the papal government in the work of draining the Pontine marshes, and preventing the inundations of the Teppia. In 1810 he erected the embankment to support the left bank of the Teverone. His architectural works are considerable in number and importance. He was architect to the grand-duke of Tuscany and built, among others, the Palazzo Lapri at Bevagna; the Church and Monastery delle Salesiane at Offagna; the seminary at Osimo; the Church of S. Francesco at Foligno; the Capella Gozzoli at Terni; the villa and casini at Monte Gallo; and the superb cathedral at Camarino. He died Sept. 10, 1817. See Spooner, Biog. Hist. of the Fine Arts, s.v.