Tucker, Levi, Dd
Tucker, Levi, D.D.
a Baptist minister, was horn in Schoharie County, N. Y., July 6, 1804. He studied theology at the Hamilton Institution, graduated June 3, 1829, and on the 10th of the same month was ordained pastor of the church at Deposit, N.Y. In the summer of 1831 he accepted a call to settle at Blockley (now West Philadelphia), Pa., where he labored with great success, acting also for a while as agent of the Baptist Educational Society of that state, until the spring of 1836, when he removed to Cleveland, O. After remaining there seven years, he was for a while pastor of the Washington Street Baptist Church in Buffalo, and on Dec. 29, 1848, became pastor of the Bowdon Place Church, Boston. His health having become greatly impaired, he resigned his charge in September, 1852, and took a journey to England, France, Italy, and Egypt, whence he returned in the early part of August, 1853, and died on the 23d of the same month. See Sprague, Annals of the Amer. Pulpit, 6:786.