Trim, Council of
Trim, Council of Trim is the county town of Meath, situated on the river Boyne, about twenty-seven miles north-west of Dublin. It contains a national school, besides other public institutions; a handsome Roman Catholic chapel; the remains of Trim Castle; and the Yellow Tower, a part of St. Mary's Abbey, rebuilt by the De Lacys in the 13th century.
The council was held on the Sunday after St. Matthew's Day (1291). Nicholas M'Motissa, archbishop of Armagh, presided. The four archbishops, all the suffragan bishops, all the cathedral chapters, by their deputies, and the other orders and degrees of the clergy, unanimously agreed in this synod to maintain and defend each other in all courts, and before all judges, ecclesiastical or secular, against all lay encroachments upon, and violations of, their rights, liberties, or customs; and, further, amply to indemnify those of their messengers, executors of their orders, etc., who might receive loss or damage in the performance of their duty. Other articles of agreement were drawn up, pledging them to mutual cooperation in enforcing sentences of excommunication, etc. See Mant, Hist. of the Irish Church, p. 17..