Throp, Charles, Dd, Frs
Throp, Charles, D.D., F.R.S.
an English divine, was born at Gateshead rectory, Octobrt 13, 1783. He was educated at the Cathedral School, and at Oxford, where he obtained a fellowship, and subsequently was appointed tutor of University College. In 1807 he was presented with the rectorship of Ryton, where he spent several years in active service; in 1829 was presented with a prebendal stall in the Cathedral of Durham; and about 1831 was promoted to the archdeaconry of Durham. At the same time he was elected one of the lord Crewe trustees, in which capacity he exerted himself to the utmost. On the establishment of the University of Durham, he became its first warden. He died at Ryton rectory, Durham, October 10, 1862. Dr. Throp was proverbial for his love of the fine arts, his gallery of pictures surpassing any other in the north of England. He was a man of rare benevolence, giving £400 per annum to endow the parish of Winlanton, and erecting a house of worship at Greenside, at his own expense, to the memory of his parents. See Appleton's Annual Cyclop. 1862, page 693.