Stuart, Henry Bmc
Stuart, Henry B.M.C.,
duke of York and cardinal, grandson of James II of England, was born in Rome, March 6, 1725, and after the battle of Culloden, which was lost by his elder brother, April 27, 1746, he entered the ecclesiastical ranks. Benedict XIV gave him the purple, July 3, 1747, and afterwards the archbishopric of the Lateran and several other dignities. To these Clement XIII added other offices which yielded him rich revenues. But the French Revolution stripped him of all these, and he even sold his family jewels in aid of pope Pius VI. George III of England gave him a pension of four thousand pounds, which he retained till his death, at Frascati, July 13, 1807. To him are attributed Constitutiones Synodales Ecclesioe Tusculanoe (Rome, 1764) and Appendix ad Tusculanam Synodum (ibid. 1764), which, however, are really the works of the Jesuit Stefanucci. With this prince-prelate the royal house of Stuart became extinct.