Stephens, Daniel, Dd
Stephens, Daniel, D.D., an Episcopal clergyman, was born at Licking Creek, Bedford Co., Pa., in April 1778. At the age of nineteen he joined the Baptist Church, and declared his intention of devoting himself to the ministry. Entering Jefferson College, Canonsburg. Pa., at the age of twenty-five, he was, after the first year, appointed tutor of ancient languages, and was so industrious as to be able to study divinity during one session of his senior year and to graduate in 1805. He entered upon the vocation of teaching, studying divinity under Mr. (afterwards bishop) Kent. Deciding to enter the Episcopal Church, he was ordained deacon by bishop Claggett in February 1809. For this choice he was disinherited by his father. Upon his ordination he removed to Chestertown, and taught in Washington College, and preached acceptably. He was ordained priest by bishop Claggett in Baltimore in 1810, and removed to Centerville, Queen Anne Co., where he had charge of an academy and two parishes. He remained here four years, and removed to Havre de Grace, where he preached four years, when he accepted a call to Staunton, Va., and continued there till 1828. After a short residence in Fincastle, Va., he accepted a call to St. Peter's Church, Columbia, Tenn., in 1829. Removing to Bolivar, Tenn., in 1833, he organized the parish of St. James. His wife died in 1847, and he consented to retire to the home of his son-in-law, Pitser Miller, of Bolivar. He resigned his charge in 1849, and died Nov. 21, 1850. See Sprague, Annals of the Amer. Pulpit, 5, 519.