Smyth, Arthur, Dd
Smyth, Arthur, D.D.
an Irish prelate, was dean of Derry, and in March, 1752, was promoted to the united bishoprics of Clonfert and Kilmacduagh. In 1753 he was translated to the sees of Down and Connor, and in October 1765, to that of Meath. On April 4, 1766, he was promoted to the archbishopric of Dublin. He died at St. Sepulchre, December 14, 1771. Bishop Smyth amassed property to the amount of £50,000, of which he bequeathed £1000 to augment the funds of Swift's Hospital, £200 to the poor of St. Sepulchre's, and £50 to those of the parish of Tullagh. See D'Alton, Memoirs of the Archbishops of Dublin, page 343.