Smith, John (7)
Smith, John (7), a Presbyterian minister, was born in Hopewell, Pa., May 8, 1776. He was carefully educated by his parents, graduated at Dickinson College; studied theology privately at Princeton, N.J.; was licensed by New Brunswick Presbytery in 1809;. and ordained by Oneida Presbytery as pastor of the Church at Cooperstown, N.Y., in 1810, where, for nearly a quarter of a century he went in and out as a true shepherd before his people. In 1834 he became principal of Cherry Valley Academy, at the same time preaching in the church at Middlefield, a distance of six miles. In 1836 he was stated supply of the Church at Painted Post, in Chemung Presbytery; in 1840 of the Church in Hammondsport, in Bath Presbytery, where he preached as opportunity and his increasing years would permit, until 1855, when he removed to Pen Yan and took up his residence with his son-in-law. He died here, June 17, 1860. On the announcement of Mr. Smith's death, the members of Bath Presbytery held a meeting and passed resolutions in view of his great worth as a Christian and minister. See Wilson, Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1862, p. 195. (J.L.S.)
a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Kirby, Vt., in 1808. He was converted and joined the Church in 1824, was licensed to preach in 1827, and joined the New England Conference in 1829. He labored for about twenty years in the active ministry, and then, compelled by ill health, took a supernumerary relation, which he held until his death, March 27, 1872, in West Burke. See Minutes of Annual Conferences, 1873, p. 58.