Shepherd, Order of the Good
Shepherd, Order Of The Good.
The "Sisters of Our Lady of Charity," or "Eudist Sisters," were founded at Caen, in Normandy, in 1641, by abbe Jeani Eudes. In 1835 a modification of the rule enabling them to take charge of penitent women was introduced at Augers, the establishment there becoming known as the "House of the Good Shepherd." They were introduced into the United States in 1849. The "Sisters of Our Lady of the Good Shepherd," and "Sisters of the Good Shepherd," and "Religious of the Good Shepherd," are apparently of the same congregation, which, under one or the other of these names, is reported from fourteen establishments in nine states. These are in New York, Buffalo, and Brooklyn, N.Y.; two in Philadelphia, Pa.; Baltimore, Md. New Orleans, La.; Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Franklin, O; Louisville, Ky.; St. Louis, Mo.; Chicago, Ill.; St. Paul, Minn. They have Magdalena asylums for maidens, industrial schools for reclaiming young truant girls, protectories for young girls, reformatories for girls, and parochial schools. The number of sisters, novitiates, and lay sisters is probably from 350 to 400, with 2500 or more penitents and girls under their charge. The "Third Order of St. Teresa, composed of reformed penitents who remain for life," and reported in New York and St. Louis, appears to be under the supervision and patronage of this community. See Barnum, Romanism, etc. p. 328.