Sheepshanks, William, a learned English clergyman, was born at Linton, Craven, Yorkshire, March 18, 1740. Educated in the grammar school of his own parish, he was admitted in 1746 to St. John's College, Cambridge. He took the degree of B.A. In January 1766 and in 1767 was elected fellow and took the degree of M.A. In 1771 and 1772 he served the university in the office of moderator. He accepted the rectory of Ovington, Norfolk, in 1773 and having settled in Grassington, he received a limited number of pupils into his house. In 1777 he was presented to the living of Seberham Cumberland in 1783 was appointed to the valuable cure of St. John's Leeds, and in 1792 was collated to a prebend in Lincoln, which he exchanged in 1794, or 1795, for a much more valuable stall at Carlisle. He died at Leeds, July 26, 1816 and was interred in his own church.