Saunders, Ephraim Dod, Dd
Saunders, Ephraim Dod, D.D.
a Presbyterian minister, was born near Mendham, N.J., September 30, 1809. After graduating at Yale College in 1831, he remained in New Haven for several months for the purpose of theological study. In the autumn of 1832 he went to Virginia, where he spent a year in teaching and study, He was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of East Hanover, in session at Nottoway, October 18, 1833. After four years of pastoral work, during which time he collected money to build two churches, he opened a school for boys in Cumberland County, which he removed to Goochland County. In 1843 he became principal of the Classical Institute at Petersburg, Virginia, and held this position for four years. In 1848 he visited Europe, and on his return established a Church in Pottsville, Pennsylvania. In 1851 he removed to West Philadelphia, and founded a school for boys, which was afterwards chartered as a college. During the late war a military department was established, the pupils being styled the "Courtland Saunders Cadets," in honor of the founder's only child, who was killed in battle, in September 1862. Dr. Saunders was made chairman of the Bounty Fund Commission of Philadelphia. In 1871 he offered to give his real estate in West Philadelphia to the Presbyterian Alliance for the purpose of founding a hospital. He also obtained subscriptions to the amount of one hundred thousand dollars towards the endowment of the hospital. He died in West Philadelphia, September 13, 1872. See Obituary Record of Yale College, 1873.