Russell, David, Dd (2)
Russell, David, D.D.
a Scotch Congregational minister, was born at Dundee, October 7, 1811. Graduating from the Glasgow Theological Academy in 1839, he was immediately ordained pastor of the Brown Street Chapel, Glasgow, which lie served until 1889, then retiring from the pastorate. From 1861 to 1877 he was secretary of the Congregational Union of Scotland, and in 1874 chairman; he was also first president of the Total Abstinence Society; in 1874 chairman of the Conference, serving as secretary from 1869 to 1876. He was one of the founders of the Supplementary Stipend Fund, and its secretary from 1872 to 1876. He also served as president of the Scottish Bible Society. He died May 15, 1892. For some years he was editor of the Congregational Magazine. See (Lond.) Cong. Yearbook, 1894.