Ross, Hugh, a Presbyterian minister, was born in Rothiemurchus, Inverness-shire, Scotland, in 1797. He pursued his academic studies at the parish school of Abernethy, until, in 1813, the family emigrating to Nova Scotia and settling in Pictou, he became a student in the Pictou Academy. When he had finished his academic course, he studied theology with Rev. Dr. M'Cullough, was licensed by Pictou Presbytery in 1823, and, being able to preach in Gaelic, was soon after ordained as an evangelist, and spent some time in the island of Cape Breton. In 1827 he became pastor of the churches of Tatamagouchee and New Annan, and subsequently of Georgetown and Murray Harbor. He was moderator of the synod at the time of the disruption, and gave in his adherence to the Free Church. Mr.
Ross died suddenly, Dec. 1, 1858. He was a man of fine gifts and an excellent preacher. See Wilson, Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1860, p. 234. (J.L.S.)