Robinson, Stuart, Dd
Robinson, Stuart, D.D.
a Presbyterian minister, Was born at Strabane, Ireland, November 26, 1816. He received his preparatory education under Rev. James M. Brown, D.D., in Berkeley County, Virginia, and Reverend William H. Foote, D.D., at Romney; graduated from Amherst College, Massachusetts, in 1836; went thence to Union Theological Seminary in Virginia, and spent one year; then taught from 1837 to 1839; from 1839 to 1841 studied at Princeton Seminary was licensed by Greenbrier Presbytery, Virginia, April 10, 1841; and was ordained by the same presbytery, Oct. 8. 1842, at Lewisburg (now in West Virginia), pastor of the Church at Kanawha Saline, from which he was released May 8, 1847; was installed pastor of the Church at Frankfort, Kentucky, by the Presbytery of West Lexington, June 18 following, and labored there until September 2, 1852; removed to Baltimore, Maryland, and supplied the Fayette Street Church in 1852 and 1853; then organized the Central Presbyterian Church in the same city, and was installed its pastor May 10 of the latter year, and released October 27, 1856; was professor of pastoral theology and Church government in Danville Theological Seminary, Kentucky, in 1856 and 1857; pastor of the Second Church of Louisville from 1858 to 1881, at which time he was released on account of the failure of his health. He died in Louisville, October 5, 1881. Dr. Robinson was a man of rare learning, and one of the finest expository preachers in the country. He wrote much and published much, but his principal productions are the two volumes, The Church of God. and Discourses on Redemption. See Necrol. Report of Princeton Theol. Sem. 882, page 42.