Robinson, Richard, archbishop of Armagh and lord Rokeby, was born in the North Riding of Yorkshire, England, in 1709. He was educated at Westminster School and Christ Church, Oxford, where he took his master's degree in 1733. Dr. Blackburn, archbishop of York, appointed him his chaplain, and collated him first to Elton, Yorkshire, and next to prebend of Grindal, Cathedral of York. In 1751 he went to Ireland, and was promoted to the bishopric of Killala in the same year. In 1759 he was translated to the united sees of Leighlin and Ferns, and in 1761 to Kildare. In 1765 he was advanced to the primacy of Armagh, and made lord-almoner and vice-chancellor of the University of Dublin. He was created baron Rokeby of Armagh in February 1777, and in 1783 he was appointed prelate to the Order of St. Patrick. He succeeded to the title of baronet upon the death of Sir William, his brother, in 1785. Bishop Robinson died at Clifton, near Bristol, in October, 1794. He was very watchful over the legal rights of the Church in Ireland. The acts of the 11th and 12th of the then reigning sovereign, securing to bishops and ecclesiastical persons repayment for expenditures in purchasing and building glebes and houses, originated with him.