Robinson, Hugh, Dd
Robinson, Hugh, D.D., an English clergyman, was born in St. Mary's parish, in the county of Anglesea. He was educated at Winchester School, was admitted a probationer fellow of New College, Oxford, in 1603, and perpetual fellow in 1605. He completed his master's degree in 1611, and about three years after became chief master of Winchester School. He was afterwards archdeacon of Winchester, canon of Wells, and archdeacon of Gloucester. Having sided with the party that was reducing the Church to the Presbyterian form, he lost the advantages of his canonry and archdeaconry, but obtained the rectory of Hinton, near Winchester. He (died March 30, 1655, and was buried in St. Giles-in-the-Fields, London. He wrote for the use of Winchester School, Preces; Grammaticalis quoedam; Antiquoe Historioe Synopsis (Oxford, 1816, 8vo). printed together: — Scholoe Wintoniensis Phrases Latinoe (Lond. 1654 and 1664): — Annales Mundi Universales, etc. (ibid. 1677, fol.).