Robinson, George C
Robinson, George C., a Methodist Episcopal minister, was born at Hartwick, near Cooperstown, N.Y., Aug. 9, 1833, and was educated first at the village academy in Wellsboro, Pa.; next at Lima, N.Y.; and finally graduated with distinction at Yale College in 1856. He then studied at the Union Theological Seminary, New York, till the spring of 1857, when he entered the New York East Conference and took charge of the First Place M.E. Church, Brooklyn, N.Y. He was transferred in 1859 to the Cincinnati Conference, and served the Union Chapel in Cincinnati; but his declining health induced his generous society to send him to Europe in 1860. In Germany he studied thoroughly the latest results of theological inquiry and became master of the best learning of its evangelical teachers, enjoying the personal friendship and admiration of professors Tholuck, Jacobi, etc. He extended his travels through France and Italy, and returned to the United States in June, 1862, with rich acquisitions of knowledge and improved health. But his frail constitution soon yielded again to our precarious climate, and, after a persistent conflict with pulmonary disease, he fell at last, greatly lamented, Sept. 21, 1863. Although so young, he had laid the broadest and deepest foundation for the future. To the Latin, Greek, German, French, and Italian languages he had added a knowledge of the Hebrew, Syriac, and Chaldee. He was familiar even with much of the literature of these languages — especially of the German. Several erudite and critical articles on the present state of opinion and criticism in Germany respecting the Pentateuch were given by him in the periodical journals. To great geniality of disposition he added remarkable strength of intellect. Originality marked the whole structure of his mind, and it amounted to genius. A brief conversation could not fail to convince the hearer that he was not only capable of original and precious thought on almost any subject susceptible of it, but that this power was spontaneous to his affluent mind. His preaching was characterized by it remarkably; and thus presented a singular fascination, especially to thoughtful hearers. His congregation at Union Chapel in Cincinnati established "The Robinson Mission" in his memory. See Record of the Yale Class of 1856, p. 60 sq.; The (N.Y.) Methodist, Oct. 3, 1863.