Richardson, James, Dd
Richardson, James, D.D., fourth bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Canada after the separate organization of 1828, was born at Kingston, Upper Canada, Jan. 29, 1791. He was trained as a sailor on the lakes; in the war of 1812-15 he served as a lieutenant in the provincial marine, and subsequently as principal pilot of the royal fleet. In the capture of the fort of Oswego he lost his left arm. At the close of the war he settled at Presque Isle, and became magistrate and collector of customs. He was converted in 1817, and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church the following year, serving the Church as steward and local preacher. In 1825 he was admitted on trial into the Conference, and was ordained deacon at Hamilton Conference, 1827, but was not ordained elder till 1830. In 1831 Mr. Richardson was appointed presiding elder of the Niagara district, and in 1832 editor of The Christian Guardian. He opposed the union with the British Wesleyans in 1833, but finally acceded to it and accepted appointments under it. But afterwards, being dissatisfied, he removed to the United States, and was preacher in charge at Auburn. In 1837 he returned to Toronto and joined those who continued to adhere to Episcopal Methodism. In 1840 he became agent for the Upper Canada Bible Society, and held the office for eleven years. In 1852 he was appointed presiding elder, and in 1858, at St. David's, he was elected and consecrated bishop, which office he held until his death, in March, 1875. See Simpson, Cyclop. of Methodism, s.v.