Richards, John W, Dd
Richards, John W., D.D., a Lutheran minister, was born in Reading, Pa., April 18, 1803, and made a public profession of religion in his sixteenth year. His classical studies were pursued chiefly under the instruction of Rev. Dr. J. Grier. In 1821 he commenced the study of theology under the direction of his pastor, Dr. Muhlenburgh, remaining with him until 1824. when the Synod of Pennsylvania licensed him to preach. He resigned his first charge (New Holland, Lancaster County, Pa.) in 1834, and removed to Trappe, Montgomery County. In 1836 he accepted a call to Germantown, Pa., where he remained till 1845, when he became pastor of St. John's Church, Easton, Pa. While here he held the professorship of German language and literature in Lafayette College. In 1851 he took charge of Trinity Church, Reading, Pa., and died Jan. 24, 1854. He was made doctor of divinity by Jefferson College in 1852. He published two Sermons, and left in MS. a translation of Hallische Nachrichten, and a History of the American Lutheran Church. See Sprague, Annals of the Amer. Pulpit, 9, 165.