Raleigh, Alexander, Dd
Raleigh, Alexander, D.D.
an English Congregational minister, was born at Castle Douglas, January 3, 1817, and removed to Liverpool in his youth. He was educated at the Blackburn Theological Academy, which became, during his course, Lancashire Independent College. In 1844 he went to Greenock as pastor of the Congregational Church, and there labored until compelled by declining health to resign. In 1850 he became pastor at Rotherham, and in 1855 of the Elgin Place Church, Glasgow. In 1859 he accepted an invitation from the Church at Hare Court, for which the new chapel at Canonbury had then just been built. The church was greatly blessed under his labors. From a very small number, it was increased to nearly one thousand members. Other churches were established in the neighborhood, and, for a time, a joint pastorate was arranged with Stamford Hill. His last pastorate was at Kensington, begun in 1875, and continued, until his death, April 19, 1880. "The work of Dr. Raleigh was of exceptional quality and power, and entered largely into the religious life of the churches. Few ministries have been more fruitful. His preaching was remarkable for the freshness, vigor, beauty. and felicity of his thought and style; but especially for the unwavering belief and fervid affection with which he held and set forth the great evangelical truths of the gospel. He published four volumes of sermons, entitled, Quiet Resting-Places: — The Story of Jonah: — The Little Sanctuary: — The Story of Esther. His widow has published the posthumous volume, The Way to the City. See (Loud.) Cong. Year-book, 1881, page 387.