Porter, George D
Porter, George D.
a Presbyterian minister, was born in Juniata Co., Pa., March 1, 1815. He was educated for the medical profession, but subsequently felt called to the ministry. He graduated at the Western 'Theological Seminary at Allegheny, Pa., was licensed in 1832, and for a time preached in Monongahela City. Pa., but afterwards removed to Newburg and Roxbury, Pa., and was ordained by Huntingdon Presbytery in Nov., 1833. When the questions which led to the disruption of the Church came up, he took a lively interest in the controversy, having a fondness for discussion. He subsequently became pastor of Center and Upper Millerstown churches; in 1851 he removed to the West, and engaged in the great missionary work there, locating at Tipton, Iowa, which, together with the Church at Red Oak, adjoining, constituted his charge for nearly eight years. From this he moved to Crow Meadow Church, Ill., where he labored for four years, after which he returned to his former home in Tipton. For two years he now gave attention to his farm, and preached as an occasional supply; and in 1866 he arranged to supply statedly the churches of Blairstown and West Irving, where he labored more than his strength would justify, and died Dec. 17, 1867. See Wilson, Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1868, p. 133. (J. L. S.)