Pomeroy, Medad an eminent Presbyterian minister, was born in Southampton, Mass., April 6, 1792. He was early left an orphan, but was blessed with prudent and kind relatives, by whom he was taught the way of life. He was educated at Williams College (Mass.), where he graduated in 1817. Soon after this he taught the academy at Aurora, N. Y., for two years, during which time and for some months after he studied theology under the direction of Dirck C.
Lansing, D.D., pastor of the First Church of Auburn, N. Y. In 1820 he began preaching at Sherwood's Corner, where he labored ten months, and was then settled at Cayuga Bridge. For six years lie preached at that place and at the "Stone Church," between Cayuga and Springport; for six additional years at Cayuga only; in February, 1833, lie accepted a call to Elbridge, N. Y., where he remained for nearly eight years; in November, 1840, he returned to Cayuga, and ministered to that people for another twelve years, resigning on account of impaired health; in 1854 he removed to Wellsburg, Chemung County, N. Y., and served a church there; in 1856 he was called to Otisco, Onondaga County, N. Y., where he was pastor for five years, and 1861 he removed to Auburn, to spend the remainder of his days in rest. He died June 20, 1867. Mr. Pomeroy was a man of acute mind, penetrating discernment, and tenacious thought. His style was compact and lucid, and his preaching earnest and searching. His ministrations were greatly blessed. See Wilson, Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1868, p. 223; Appleton's Annual Cyclopaedia (1867), 7:566. (J. L. S.)