Perola, Juan and Francisco
Perola, Juan And Francisco, two brothers, Spanish painters, sculptors, and architects, were natives of Almagro, and flourished about 1600. They visited Italy, studied under Michael Angelo, and finished their artistic education in Spain under Gasparo Becerra. After leaving that master they gained considerable distinction, and were commissioned by the marquis de Santa Cluz to erect his palace at Vico. Of their works in sculpture, the Biographie Universelle
mentions the busts decorating the above-mentioned palace, and the mausoleum of the marquis of Santa Cruz in the church of the Franciscans at Vico. They also painted the grand altar-piece in the same church, and, in concert with Mohedano, they painted several frescos in the sanctuary of Cordova and the convent of Seville.
There was an architect named ESTEBAN PEROLA, a native of Almagro, and contemporary with the preceding. He designed and probably erected the convent of S. Francisco at Seville, commenced in 1623.