Paul, William D.D., an English prelate, flourished near the middle of the 17th century. Of his early history we know scarcely anything. He was not educated for the sacred office of the ministry, but had entered the mercantile profession, and, possessed of a large property, had made himself quite prominent in that walk of life, when, through the influence of bishop Sheldon, Paul was called into the ministry, and finally given the important see of Oxford. It was hoped that his vast wealth would be expended for the good of the bishopric, and, to judge from the preparations he made for the rebuilding of the dilapidated episcopal palace at Cuddesden, the hope was not unfounded. He died suddenly in 1665, having held the see only two years. He also held the valuable rectory of Chinnor in commendam. See Stoughton, Eccles. Hist. of England (Church of the Restoration), 1:490.