Patterson, James H
Patterson, James H.
M.D., a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Peru, N. Y., March 16, 1810. His earlier days were spent in Canada and Vermont. He was converted in 1826, licensed to preach in 1829, and received on probation into the New Hampshire Conference shortly after. He was admitted to full Conference connection in 1836. His appointments in the ministry were as follows: South New Market, Peterborough, Francistown, and Greenland, in New Hampshire; Peacham, White River, Corinth, and Linden, in Vermont. While at Linden the Conference was divided, and he became member of the Vermont. His next appointments were to Northfield and Woodstock. During his pastorate at the latter place he studied medicine, and took his degree. His voice failing him in 1848, he practiced medicine until recovered strength permitted his resumption of the pastoral work. He now joined the Vermont Conference, and was in 1851 appointed to Glen's Falls, N. Y. His next appointment was Castleton, Vt., and then he went to Cambridge, N. Y. In 1857 he located at Schenectady to supervise the collegiate education of his sons. In the spring of 1857 he was appointed, as effective, to the City Mission in Albany; in 1858 and 1859, to Amsterdam; in 1860, to Schaghticoke; but in 1861 he was superannuated, and he continued in this relation until his death, Dec. 24, 1873, at Glen's Falls, N. Y., where he had settled in 1863. Dr. Patterson was a man of more than usual ability. Had his early training been collegiate, it is likely that he would have risen to great prominence in any profession. He was much respected as a man, and his Christian virtues are praised by all who were brought into fellowship with him. See Minutes of Conferences, 1874, p. 64, 65.