Patterson, a O
Patterson, A. O.
D.D., a Presbyterian clergyman and home missionary, was born in Fayette Co., Pa., July 1, 1794. He graduated at Washington College, Pa., and afterwards at Princeton Theological Seminary, and began to preach in 1820. His labors were varied and his pastorates numerous. First, as a missionary, he traveled from Pittsburgh, through Steubenville, Wheeling, Marietta, Oxford, Hamilton, Zanesville, Cleveland, and intermediate points, preaching the Gospel of Christ. During the succeeding fourteen years he was pastor at Mount Pleasant and Sewickley, Pa., when, after much persuasion, he again engaged in missionary work. He, however, remained in this field only a short time; and returning to his pastoral work, he labored successively at Beaver, Pa., New Lisbon and Bethel, Ohio, and West Newton, Pa. The record of his labors in all these places, and also in connection with the Board of Missions, fully demonstrates his usefulness and efficiency. In 1864 he went to Oxford, Ohio, where he died, Dec. 14, 1868. See Appleton's Amer. An. Cyclop. 8:584.