Paris Protestant Missionary Society
Paris Protestant Missionary Society This society was formed in 1822, under the title of "Societe des Missions Evangeliques de Paris." A meeting was held for the purpose at the house of S. V. S. Wilder, Esq., an American merchant, then residing in Paris, which was attended by the presidents of the Reformed and Lutheran Consistories; by other pastors, with lay members of the two churches; by various foreign Protestants then in Paris, among whom were Rev. Daniel Wilson, Rev. S. S. Wilson, and Rev. Jonas King, and by Messrs. Cook and Croggon, Wesleyan missionaries then in France. One object of the society was declared to be to enlighten the public mind, through the press, as to the character and importance of the different missions of Protestant Christians among the heathen; and another to establish an institution for young persons recommended by the different missionary societies, to whom it might be necessary to study some of the Oriental languages. Rev. Jonas King, being nthen in Paris, and having received an invitation from Rev. Mr. Fisk, after the death of his associate, Rev. Mr. Parsons, to join him in the mission to the Holy Land, the new society assumed, for a given period, his support. The. committee issued an address, setting forth the object of the society, and soliciting contributions. They also established the monthly Concert of Prayer.
Subsequently this society directed all its efforts to Southern Africa, where their missions have been very energetically and successfully prosecuted to the present time. They have thirteen stations, among several different tribes, with fifty missionaries, and a large number of native assistants, and 8254 communicants. SEE SOUTH AFRICA.