Paniter, David a Scotch prelate, was vicar of the Church of Carstairs, in the diocese of Glasgow, prior of St. Mary's Isle in Galloway, and some time commendator of the abbey of Cambuskenneth. In 1543 he was; principal secretary of state. He was made bishop of the see of Ross about 1545, and was still there in 1556. He probably died in 1558. See Keith, Scottish Bishops, page 192.