Palmer, Henderson D
Palmer, Henderson D.
a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was born Jan. 12, 1812, and united with the Church Nov. 29, 1829. He was soon appointed class leader, but feeling called to the more responsible work of the ministry, he studied for some time at La Grange College. He next emigrated to Texas, then an infant republic. After teaching a few months in the town of Nacogdoches, where Roman Catholicism was the only form of religion organized, the love of Christ constrained him to appoint meetings for exhortation and prayer, until the 7th of July, 1858, when he was licensed to preach at Box's Fort, Nacogdoches County. In 1839 he was admitted to the Mississippi Conference, and kept in the district in which he had been laboring. In 1841 he travelled the Jasper Circuit, where his labors were crowned with a gracious revival of religion. In 1842 he travelled the Montgomery Circuit; in 1843, the Egypt Circuit; in 1844, the Cherokee Circuit. In 1845 his appointment is unknown to us. In 1846-47 he was a superannuate. In the year 1848 he travelled the Palestine Circuit. In the years 18491853 he was local. In the year 1854 he was readmitted and appointed to the San Augustine Circuit. In 1855 his appointment is unknown to us; in 1856 he travelled the Shelbyville Circuit; in 1857-58, the Coffeeville Circuit; in 1859, the Shelbyville Circuit; in 1869, Dangerfield Circuit; in 1861 he was supernumerary; in 1862, on the Linden Circuit; in 1863, the Coffeeville Circuit; in 1864-65, unknown to us; in 1866-68, he was again superannuated. He died Feb. 17, 1869, at his home in Upsher County, Texas. For more than thirty years he was a faithful, zealous, and useful preacher.