Newman, John Henry, Dd
Newman, John Henry, D.D.
a Roman Catholic prelate, was born in London, February 21, 1801. He was educated at Trinity College, Oxford, graduating in 1820. In 1822 he was made fellow of Oriel College; in 1825 vice-principal of St. Alban's Hall; in 1826 tutor of his college, which post he held until 1831; in 1828 he became incumbent of St. Mary's, Oxford, with the chaplaincv of Littlemore, but resigned St. Mary's in 1843. In 1842 he established at Littlemore an ascetic comminute modelled after those of mediaeval times, over which he presided for three years. He joined Dr. Pilsey as the recognized leader of the High-Church party, and took a prominent part in the Tractarian controversy, contributing the final tract, No. 90. In October 1845, he seceded from the Established Church, and was received into the Roman Catholic communion. After being ordained priest, he was appointed head of the Oratory of St. Philip Neri at Birmingham. In 1854 he was appointed rector of the newly founded University of Dublin, but resigned in 1858, and established a school for the sons of Roman Catholic gentry at Edgebaston, near Birmingham. Dr. Newman was elected an honorary fellow of Trinity College, Oxford, December 18, 1877. On May 12, 1879, pope Leo XIII. created him a cardinal deacon of the Holy Roman Church. He died August 10, 1890. A collected edition of his writings was published in London (1870-79, 36 volumes, eleven of which are sermons). As a hymn writer he will be especially remembered as the author of "Lead kindly Light!" See Contemporary Review, September 1890; Annals of the Tractarian Movement, by E.G.K. Brown (London, 1861); William George Ward and the Oxford Movement, by Wilfrid Ward (ibid. 1890).