Na'amah (Heb. Naamah', נִעֲמָה , pleasant), the name of two women and also of a place.
1. (Sept. Νοεμά; Josephus, Νοομᾶς, Ant. 1:2, 2.) The daughter of the Cainite Lamech and Zillah, and the sister of Tubal-cain (Ge 4:22). B.C. cir. 3549. The family was one of inventors; and as few women are named, the Jewish commentators ascribe suitable inventions to each of them. Naamah is affirmed by them to have invented the spinning of wool and making of cloth. In the Targum of pseudo-Jonathan, Naamah is commemorated as the "mistress of lamenters and singers;" and in the Samaritan Version her name is given as Zalkipha. According to others she was distinguished merely by her beauty (see Kalisch, Genesis, page 149). Hence some have unduly pressed the coincidence with Venus the consort of Vulcan, or with certain Syrian mythologies (Bunsen, Aegyptens Stelle [Goth. and Hamb. 1845-57], 1:344 sq.).
2. (Sept. Νααμά, Ναομά, v.r. Μαχιάμ, Ναανάν,, Nacavav, etc.; Josephus, Νοομᾶς, Ant. 8:8, 9.) An Ammonitess, the only one of the numierous wives of Solomon that appears to have borne him a son. She was the mother of Rehoboam (q.v.), and probably queen dowager (1Ki 14:21,31; 2Ch 12:13). B.C. 973. She must consequently have been one of those foreign women whom Solomon took for wives and concubines, and among.whom Ammonites are expressly mentioned (1Ki 11:1). The Vatican copy of the Septuagint calls her "the daughter of Ana, the son of Nahash " but this, besides being wanting in the Hebrew, is part of a long passage which is not found either in the Hebrew or in the Alexandrian copy of the Septuagint, and is therefore of no authority.
3. (Sept. Νααμά v.r. Νωμάν), a city in the plain of Judah, mentioned between Beth-dagon and Makkedah (Jos 15:41). The associated names indicate a locality much west of Hebron. SEE JUDAH, TRIBE OF. The requirements correspond tolerably well with that of a modern village marked by Van de Velde on his Map as Naamah, two miles S.E. of Ascalon (2d. ed. N'aliah, three miles); but Capt. Warren (in the Quar. Statement of the "Pal. Explor. Fund," April, 1871, p. 91) suggests Vaaemeh, six miles N.E. of Yebna (Van de Velde, Naamy, six miles N. by E.). SEE NAAMATHITE.